Sunday, November 9, 2014

Frankenstein's Monster...the Original Novel Creature (OSR)

"It was on a dreary night of November that I beheld the accomplishment of my toils. With an anxiety that almost amounted to agony, collected the instruments of life around me, that I might infuse a spark of being into the lifeless thing that lay at my feet. It was already one in the morning; the rain pattered dismally against the panes, and my candle was nearly burnt out, when, by the glimmer of the half-extinguished light, I saw the dull yellow eye of the creature open; it breathed hard, and a convulsive motion agitated its limbs.

How can I describe my emotions at this catastrophe, or how delineate the wretch whom with such infinite pains and care I had endeavoured to form? His limbs were in proportion, and I had selected his features as beautiful. Beautiful! -- Great God! His yellow skin scarcely covered the work of muscles and arteries beneath; his hair was of a lustrous black, and flowing; his teeth of a pearly whiteness; but these luxuriances only formed a more horrid contrast with his watery eyes, that seemed almost of the same colour as the dun white sockets in which they were set, his shrivelled complexion and straight black lips."

The Frankenstein Monster (The Monster, The Creature)
Created from the assembled pieces of corpses and brought to life by a process of mixing natural science with alchemy....

This build is for the Original Shelly character. The Creature is far more powerful than those I have written to be used as PC's in my Created class. The original Frankenstein Monster is a unique entity;  spawned in the  terrible brilliant mind of a madman it is the first, the prototype of a new and horrific superior race which never came to be.

"Who shall conceive the horrors of my secret toil, as I dabbled among the unhallowed damps of the grave, or tortured the living animal, to animate the lifeless clay? My limbs now tremble and my eyes swim with the remembrance; but then a resistless, and almost frantic, impulse urged me forward; I seemed to have lost all soul or sensation but for this one pursuit. It was indeed but a passing trance that only made me feel with renewed acuteness so soon as, the unnatural stimulus ceasing to operate, I had returned to my old habits. I collected bones from charnel-houses; and disturbed, with profane fingers, the tremendous secrets of the human frame. In a solitary chamber, or rather cell, at the top of the house, and separated from all the other apartments by a gallery and staircase, I kept my workshop of filthy creation: my eye-balls were starting from their sockets in attending to the details of my employment. The dissecting room and the slaughter-house furnished many of my materials; and often did my human nature turn with loathing from my occupation, whilst, still urged on by an eagerness which perpetually increased, I brought my work near to a conclusion."

The Frankenstein Monster/Creature
"CURSED, cursed creator! Why did I live? Why, in that instant, did I not extinguish the spark of existence which you had so wantonly bestowed? I know not; despair had not yet taken possession of me; my feelings were those of rage and revenge. I could with pleasure have destroyed the cottage and its inhabitants, and have glutted myself with their shrieks and misery."
HD: 12
Str 18 +3
Dex 17 +2
Con 18 +3
Int 16 +2
Wis 13 +1
Chs 0 (See below)

HP: 90
AC: 15
Save: 8
Attack: +12 melee (two attacks per round)
Damage: Unarmed (1d2+7) or melee weapon (dmg+7)

"I suddenly beheld the figure of a man, at some distance, advancing towards me with superhuman speed. He bounded over the crevices in the ice, among which I had walked with caution; his stature, also, as he approached, seemed to exceed that of man. I was troubled: a mist came over my eyes, and I felt a faintness seize me; but I was quickly restored by the cold gale of the mountains. I perceived, as the shape came nearer (sight tremendous and abhorred!) that it was the wretch whom I had created. I trembled with rage and horror, resolving to wait his approach, and then close with him in mortal combat. He approached; his countenance bespoke bitter, anguish, combined with disdain and malignity, while its unearthly ugliness rendered it almost too horrible for human eyes. "

Superior to Man:
Eight feet tall and built for hideous strength, endurance and flexibility.
The Creature gains a +4  (in addition to its  normal Strength bonus) to all  melee and unarmed damage rolls, as well as to attempts to open doors. The +4 is also used as a bonus to any Strength attribute checks.

The Frankenstein Monster only takes half damage from non-magical weapons.
The Creature only takes 1/4 damage from cold (0 damage with a successful saving throw.)
It saves with a +4 bonus vs poison and disease.

The Monster heals at an astonishing rate; with full rest it regains 24 hp per day. It active it still regains 12 hp per day.

With its massive stride and superior muscle The Creature moves faster than an ordinary man; movement is 150' (50').
The Creature gains a +4 bonus to climb and stealth checks.

The Monster does not age. Unless killed by trauma or other bodily affliction it is effectively immortal.

Because of its grotesque and unnatural appearance the Frankenstein Monster  is shunned by normal men and women who are horrified by it. It effectively has a Charisma of 0 when dealing with normal people, even allies. This may be overcome given time and actions by the Creature.

Equipment:
Ragged Clothing.  




No comments:

Post a Comment